Sunday, January 24, 2010

The magic is nearly done


269, originally uploaded by Sharlene W.

I actually wrote down the formula when I dyed the first batch of background for this rug because I knew I would be needing more. I only dyed 1 1/2 yards initially because I wanted to see it hooked in before I committed to more.


I used 1/4 yard each of the 3 lighter colors (Dorr light green, medium green and olive green) and three 1/4 yard pieces of antique black. After soaking them, I scrunched up on the diagonal and then twisted each before placing them in a circular fashion around my pan. I added water until it was filled about 2/3 the height of the wool.


Dyes used: Forest Green, Old Rose, and Old Gold (all mixed 1/4 tsp to 1CBW)


Using a tablespoon-sized measuring spoon, I dribbled over the top:


3 Tbsp Forest Green (Pro Chem)
3 Tbsp Old Gold (Cushing)
2 Tbsp Old Rose (Cushing)


I then added the vinegar (about 1/4 cup) and mashed it all once with potato masher.


After letting the dye absorb for about 10 minutes, I added enough additional water to cover the wool and dribbled over the top:


7 Tbsp Old Gold (Cushing) (over all)
2 Tbsp Old Rose (Cushing) (mostly over the darks)


I mashed again and let steep over heat until most of the dye was absorbed.


IMPORTANT NOTE: The first time through I took the wool out and put it on a rinse/spin cycle. When it came out, I thought it needed more dye so I scrunched it up, twisted it and put it back in the pan. I think it benefited from this extra manipulation. This second batch was more heavily spotted in the areas that were on top and the bottom barely got any dye. The second batch was usable, but the first batch was LOVE-LOVE-LOVE. I know what to do next time for sure. Well, as we all know, practice makes perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment