Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Overdying Antique Black

I used to have a formula for overdying Antique Black, but it is filed somewhere and I can't put my hands on it.  Another member of the Yahoo Rughooking Group posted this formula and it sounds very similar.  I'm sure it wouldn't matter what formula I use as long as I settle on something and be consistent in using it.  I'll try this one next go round.  I am curious to see what the result of the salt will be.  Does anyone know how the salt affects the process?




1 yard Dorr #44, presoaked



In three separate containers prepare dye solution:


1 tsp. Cushing Bright Green, dissolve in 1 1/2 cbw (cup boiling water), add 1/4 cup white vinegar


1/2 tsp. Cushing Cardinal, dissolve in 1 1/2 cbw, add 1/4 cup white vinegar


1/4 tsp. Cushing Chartreuse, dissolve in 1 1/2 cbw, add 1/4 cup white vinegar






Scrunch presoaked wool yardage in developer pan. Sprinkle salt over wool.


Spot wool with each of the three colors in a tic-tac-toe manner.


Something like this: + + + +






On dark colors the salt will show where you have areas without dye solution.


Press down on the wool to blend the dye colors


Add boiling water to the pan lifting up the corners of the wool and pouring the water under. Add as much water as the pan will allow.


Cover with aluminum foil, venting at least one of the corners. Bake in a 300°F oven for 1 hour.


Cool wool. Rinse. Dry.





She indicated the process has also been successful on Dorr #1042 (Forest Green), but she prefers the looks of Dorr #44

No comments:

Post a Comment