Sunday, February 21, 2010

Craft Day at Mount Olive Church



My friend Lena invited me to go with her to the monthly Craft Day held at a church near her house in Milpitas.  There were 32 crafters of all varieties--quilters, scrap bookers, jewelry makers, knitters and two hookers.  It was fun to see what everyone was working on.  It was fun to be in a room with so many talented people enjoying the company of friends and working away.  

A few ladies stopped by to see what we were doing and we demonstrated how easy it was to those who were interested.  Lena met up with our new friend Janice a few days later and helped her get a pattern onto backing and gathered up wool for her so she can get started.  It is fun to see the excitement I felt when I was first exposed to rug hooking.  I couldn't wait to get started!

I was also able to make some headway on my rug, hooking a big portion of the basket that has held me back from working on the center for quite some time.  I did a Google search on images of "traditional rug hooking" and "baskets" and looked at quite a few other rugs with basket motifs before I came to a decision.  I didn't want it to be mistaken for a brown vase!  I just hope it isn't too distracting.  It is interesting that I don't see the irregularities in my hooking when it is in front of me, but when I look at a close-up photograph--wow!

Craft Day is held at Mount Olive Ministries at 1989 E. Calaveras Blvd., Milpitas in the Multi-Purpose Room from 9:30 am to 6:00 pm.  This event is not limited to the ladies at Mount Olive.  We provide the table space, munchies and lunch. There is a $5 registration fee, payable at the door.  Please RSVP so there will be enough tables ready.  When you RSVP, let them know if you will need power.

For more information or to RSVP, contact Connie Beal at (408) 262-0506 or Connie@mt-olive.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment