Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Shadows for the Hydrangeas (Dye Formulas)

After setting to work with my wool for my hydrangeas, I soon realized that what I was missing was dark wool for the shadows.  I had thought I could use the darker pieces of the initial wool dyed for these flowers, but I soon realized they were not dark enough.  I decided I need some dark lavender, dark blue/lavender and dark rosy wool.  Just in case I'm not happy with the results, I am only experimenting with 3/4 yard total, and I am documenting the process so that if I am trilled I can replicate it easily.


I prepare all of my wool by first tearing 18" length and then tearing that in half to get two  1/4 yard pieces.


I tore three 1/4 yard pieces of natural into 4 strips.



First 4:


1/8 tsp Pro Chem Lavender in 1 CBW
To this I lightly mixed 1 tbsp Prochem Brilliant Blue (1/4 tsp - 1 CBW)
I added 1 strip at a time, waiting about 45 seconds between


Second 5:
1/8 tsp Prochem Pink Sand in 1 CBW
Added 1 strip at a time, but waited until nearly all color was drawn up until I added last strip.
I then took all strips out and set them aside and to the water added 1/8 Tsp Lavender mixed with 1 CBW
I added strips back one at a time leaving them in about 45 seconds between BUT 2nd strip in was not overdyed first with Pink Sand.  Again I waited until nearly all dye drawn up before adding last strip.


Third 4 (Includes lightest strip from previous two processes):
1/8 Prochem Pink Sand and 1/8 Prochem Lobster Bisque mixed together in 1 CBW
Added 1 strip at a time leaving them in for about 45 seconds between strips.
Last strip in was light strip from previous two processes.


When it looked like all of the dye had drawn up, I tossed back all of the previously dyed strips and let them simmer together to set the dye.  I doubt if there will be any transfer of dye from one strip to the other because they were all pretty well set at this point, but if there is, it won't matter in the whole scheme of things.


I still feel like I am missing the green tone I want in these flowers.  I am awaiting a shipment of dye from Prochem before I commit to dying that wool.

1 comment: